Key Bindings

Would be great if you guys added your preferable key binding on the champions you play. What abilities are good to have smartcast on, why it's good, if there's any abilities you have binded to self-cast and so forth.

Quote from xzec »

Would be great if you guys added your preferable key binding on the champions you play. What abilities are good to have smartcast on, why it's good, if there's any abilities you have binded to self-cast and so forth.

I have self-cast on Morgana's Shield, it helps alot in the laning phase :) .. And mb5(mouse button 5) that is. Also, every single spell while playing kennen and cassio. 

Edit: and dont forget veigar, stun + meteor is soooo much better with smart cast. 

Last edited by Phsylion1337: 4/9/2012 10:12:23 AM

It's one thing to spell something wrong, but when you spell the same word wrong in two different ways, in the same sentence..

Quoted from Crumbzz "I smartcast everything except for Viegar's stun, I even smartcast wards".

KING ELEMENTZ STILL #1

I likewise smartcast everything, summoners and items included (handy for not only wards, but spells like Smite and actives such as Gunblade or Deathfire). I feel like, if you can get a feel for your ranges without having to see the graphic for it, it just speeds up your reaction time considerably. (the new "smartcast ranges" option is also a handy halfway point, hold down the key to line up the range, then release to fire.) You still have your Alt+Q W E R keys to self-cast as well (which you might change, but Alt is easy to hit with your thumb), so you don't have to worry about ever missing a self-heal or shield or whatnot.

I think a lot of pros smartcast as well, but it's usually personal preference, it seems; I don't know of any that set up specific key bindings for specific champs (at the very least, I've never seen anyone editing bindings on a stream after switching champions). I know I've seen some who prefer the regular casting method, and they're just wicked fast with it. And others who just skip straight to smartcast all the time.
    On that logic, I don't think it's necessarily helpful to make notes of key bindings on champion guides; you'll often see just a variety across champs, simply because the guide writer has their own preference for all of their champions.

I think LiQuiD112 did things just perfectly in his duo-bot Soraka guide; he adds a section to Strategy and Tactics explaining the benefits of using a custom keyboard setup for yourself, as well as explaining why you would want to use self-cast or smart-cast.

----   Geo - a.k.a. Jio Derako
    I theorycraft harder than I play.

@ Phsylion1337:
    How are you able to bind to mouse button 5? As of yet, it's only possible to bind mouse button 4.

@ JioDerako:
    I change smartcast only when there's an AoE ability, like for instance, Leona's ultimate, Anivia's wall and so forth. Though I would just like to know what the guide writer likes to run, and why.
    It could be something which I, and probably more, would find useful.

I smart cast everything. I use katarina a lot so I also smart cast my items. I changed my smart cast keybinds to regular cast binding. Smart Cast Q is just Q instead of shift Q and so on. I smart cast my items to. Wards, Gunblade, everything.

Turning on smart cast indicators helps A LOT. You can smart cast AoEs with the indicators on.

Last edited by AnacondaVice: 4/10/2012 6:59:24 AM

Quote from xzec »

I change smartcast only when there's an AoE ability, like for instance, Leona's ultimate, Anivia's wall and so forth. Though I would just like to know what the guide writer likes to run, and why.
    It could be something which I, and probably more, would find useful.

I prefer to smartcast even AoE abilities; you generally will be familiar with the range already (if not, it's a good thing to work towards, so you can anticipate an enemy's reach with their spells). Leona's ultimate, for example, the only time I can see myself wanting to see the range would be if I have two targets that might only just barely be within range of each other; even in that case, presumably they're either moving away from each other (need to make a split-second choice, not enough time to check the range) or moving towards each other (don't need to see the range). So I'd rather have the speed of the smartcast.
    Of course, I won't deny that there are some abilities that work better with the range laid-out; Viegar's stun is tough to insta-land, especially on multiple targets, and Anivia's wall can sometimes be tricky if you want a precise angle on it. Even with those though, it's not too hard to just feel where it's going to go without needing to check the range.

I'll agree that it would be very helpful to see keybind notes in guides, but I'd prefer to only see them in cases where the guide writer feels a particular binding is more efficient on that champion (such as that oft-mentioned Viegar stun). With the exception of... well, exceptions such as that, I think the debate of smartcast vs. regular casting just comes down to player preference, and isn't worth the space in a guide (though a gameplay guide on optimizing your UI and keys to fit your playstyle would definitely be cool).
    So... partial agreement. Far from necessary information, but something guide writers should definitely keep in mind; I imagine most players don't think about their own custom keybinds after they've set them, unless they happen to switch to specific settings for specific champions.

----   Geo - a.k.a. Jio Derako
    I theorycraft harder than I play.

I'm one of the all smartcast folks. Everything. When I made the switch, my reaction time to things got better and now I make skill shots 9/10 times.

LoL Pro Social Media Director / Community Manager
    Spud on North America.
    @vgspud

+1 i totally agree on that, veigars stun is the only ability that u shoud not use with smartcast

i also have all my item slots on smartcast

Quote from xzec »

@ Phsylion1337:
    How are you able to bind to mouse button 5? As of yet, it's only possible to bind mouse button 4.

Bind something on another key, download and install a script program (like autohotkey.com) and rebind mouse5 to the chosen key through the script.
    On autohotkey for example, if you bind something to say K you write this script:
    Xbutton2::k
    and you execute the script as admin before you play LoL.
    -> everytime you hit mouse5, your OS is registering a K as long as the script is running.

Xbutton1 = mouse4, Xbutton2 = mouse5.

Last edited by Maveaux: 4/14/2012 8:21:42 AM

@ JioDerako:
    I must say that I've created a bad habit by being too dependent on the range indicators, because I can completely see it possible to remember proximately a picture of it. Though I can't for the life of me get rid of it, and just end up being too impatient to master, since I just make too many mistakes. However, I don't see it as game-breaking using normal casting on abilities that do require quite some precision from you.

@ Maveaux:
    Thanks, much appreciated. However, for some reason, your way didn't work for me, though I found another way to do it.

This will make it so when you press MB5 and casts an ability, it will not allow you to cast on any minions. That way, you won't be able to misclick on those sneaky meat shields.
    AutoHotkey:
    #IfWinActive ahk_class LeagueOfLegendsWindowClass

;MB5

XButton2::
    Send {P down}
    KeyWait a
    Send {P up}
    return

Source: http://www.autohotkey.com/download/

Input.ini:

evtChampionOnly=[p]

Directory: *\Riot Games\League of Legends\Config

Last edited by xzec: 4/15/2012 12:20:30 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes