- Quick Guide
- Author / Skins
- Item Build
- Rune, Masteries, and Summoner Spells
- Strategy and Tactics
- Solo Que VODs
- Hunter's Machete
- Health Potion
- Scrying Orb (Trinket)
Standard Jungle Start. The Machete builds into wriggles and the pots help you sustain early. Generally this is what you will start with every game. However you may also be able to get away with starting cloth armor if you feel the need.
- Wriggle's Lantern
- Youmuu's Ghostblade
- Berserker's Greaves
- Infinity Edge
- Vampiric Scepter
- Wriggle's Lantern - Wriggle's is a must for most junglers. It allows you to sustain yourself in the jungle and kill creeps very fast. Wriggle's is the most cost efficient item for Master Yi. The ward from wriggle's is invaluable. Wriggle's can be sold later after you max out on items. With the change to wriggles no longer granting lifesteal it is important pick up a vamp scepter prior or after completion.
- Berserker's Greaves or Mercury Treads if the enemy team has a lot of stuns and snares, or mobility boots for more map pressure, otherwise get berserker's greaves.
- The Youmuu's Ghostblade amplifys all the stats needed for Yi to put out damage, it's small amounts of various auto attack stats make it core. It offers complete synergy with Master Yi's Kit. The new more complex scaling Yi has demands that a variable amount of stats must be had. The ghostblade still covers all of this and should be a first buy after wriggles.
- Due to the change in how he scales it is very important for you to gain a large source of damage and critical strike. Infinity edge is now the better suited option over phantom dancer. Try to pick up infinity edge after you have received your ghostblade. OR IF you opt for a blood thirster pick up the phantom dancer and finish with infinity edge.
- Blood Thirster also fits the core as a replacement for Infinity edge after ghostblade due to the lifesteal being removed from wriggles.
- Enchantment: Furor
- Wriggle's Lantern
- Youmuu's Ghostblade
- Infinity Edge
- Phantom Dancer
- The Bloodthirster
This is my standard build, It is used for extreme split pushing and not really made for team fights. Great for dueling and single target assassination and now with the rework, team fighting. This is generally overall the Most solid Yi build for dealing with every situation. The wriggles can be replaced by a trinity force or Last Whisper depending on your needs..
Further down I will break down the Plethora of situational items Yi can choose from. These are divided into 2 catagories, The offensive and defensive. If an Item has both It will be found in the offensive section.
Situational Itemization (Offensive)
- Ravenous Hydra (Melee Only)
- Blade of the Ruined King
- Statikk Shiv
- Mercurial Scimitar
- Maw of Malmortius
- Trinity Force
- Frozen Mallet
- Ravenous Hydra - This item should be picked up if you find yourself having a hard time fitting into AoE comp team fights. This item will allow you to do damage in an area. It works well when champions that when team fighting work well when enemies are bunched together. Good parts about this item is it helps Yi clear waves and since it provides heavy damage it is not a bad pick up even if you cannot hit more than 2 or so targets. Try to replace wriggles for this item later. The life steal will help you stay alive as well.
- Blade of the Ruined King - An amazing buy. It will shred heavy Health stackers/warmong buyers. It synergies with attack speed so make sure you pick up a phantom dancer or other high attack speed items. Enemies who stack health will basically be giving you free life steal as the ability to heal for each hit will mean you will be healing for massive amounts. It is pretty ridiculous how strong this is coupled with the life steal from wriggles and it's active effect. However due to the way new Yi scales avoid picking up this item early, you need critical strike and damage to be effective.
- Zephyr - To counter out Hard cc such as fiddle sticks fear. However the lack of crit strike places this item in a really awkward spot for Yi. The attack speed is nice but the Dps coming from it will always be inferior because it lacks crit. I would not suggest picking up this item unless you have 2 decent other sources of critical strike such as Infinty edge and ghost blade. It will most likely take the place of your Phantom dancer.
- Statikk Shiv - This item provides AoE magic damage and allows you to wave clear slightly quicker. However the lower amount of attack speed and lower crit make it not always the best replacement for phantom dancer. I suggest you buy this item if you must clear waves quicker or feel you will proc it often chasing your targets. Keep in mind Yi is a duelist and losing some of the crit strike and attack speed can hurt your dueling potential. Also the magic damage will not scale to armor pen so it does not benefit from last whisper as much as Phantom dancer does
- Maw of Malmortius - Solid item will grant magic resist and damage, The shield will help you survive encounters with burst mages, However i feel that since Yi isn't exactly your bruiser that this item isn't as strong on him as it would be on any other bruiser. Generally you can just meditate tank the burst. However this item does give some protection from thornmail.
- Trinity force - While this item is pretty solid on many champions it is more of a luxury snowball item on Yi. You can pick up this item early if you feel you are crushing the opposition and can abuse the utility. It can also be picked up late game if you want to further increase your damage output by making alpha strike even more worthy of casting thanks to the passive.
- Frozen Mallet - I highly dislike this item on Yi. It is purchased on champions who need help sticking to targets such as Darius. Yi has no problem chasing down his foes for the most part. On top of that it doesn't offer the best stats to duel. If your target has no intention of running you will find you aren't the strongest duelist around.
Situational Items (Defensive)
- Spirit Visage
- Warmog's Armor
- Banshee's Veil
- Randuin's Omen
- Guardian Angel
- Atma's Impaler
- Spirit Visage - This item is very interesting. It will amplify your life steal, and meditate heal. On top of that it also assist in the healing from The Blade of the Ruined King. It is a solid counter to thornmail because it provides a bonus in life steal and increased magic resist. Magic resist is always important when you plan to target champions with Thornmail. Generally you should not focus champions with thornmail.
- Warmongs Armor - General all good overall defense. It is a solid buy and will protect you from mostly everything.
- Banshee's Veil - Great item, It will soak up one spell and grant you health and magic resist. This item is perfect when dealing with heavy engage champions like Malphite/amumu. The health and magic resist will help you stay alive. The mana increase may come in handy when you getting a lot of refreshes.
- Randium's Omen - This item grants a large amount of armor and health but it is noted for it's ability to slow attack speed. This item will help you enter team fights versus champions who rely on auto attacks. It can help you win duels versus AD carries as well. The effectiveness of this item was hurt by the rework, you can no longer meditate into omen pop for a massive slow duration.
- Guardian Angel - Yi's safety line. You can pick this up when you feel enemies will dive/spend plenty of cool downs for take you out. It is also offers sound of mind from feeling that you cannot enter fights.It even with the changes is still a solid pick up when you must stay alive.
- Atmas Impaler - Good item if you have the health for it to be effective. It provides crit strike which is important. It can be solid with the right build.
The Yi complex - Because Yi can technically benefit from every item in the game, you will often see some very strange itemization coming out of many Yi players. However It is always best to stick to the glass cannon Yi. Sometimes trying to build too defensively will result in you not having the damage to do anything in a fight. I call this the Yi complex. You lack Utility and you are only good for damage. As a result if you sacrifice most of your damage to build defensively at a certain point you will be ignored most of the fight or killed anyway due to your lack of natural defenses. To avoid the Yi complex look carefully at enemy itemization and team comp and build accordingly. Remember you have no utility so if you cannot do enough damage or kill anyone you are useless to your team. If you build too defensively you also will not be able to split push well.
Generally speaking the original build I have on the quick guide and the frist build here is what you should always buy. It will work in any weather. However since Yi is able to benefit from many items. I have broken down some of the ones i see fit and given analysis as to where/how to use them for user sake.
- Page 3 of 7