- Quick Guide
- Author / Skins
- Item Build
- Runes, Masteries, and Summoner Spells
- Strategy and Tactics
Strategy and Tactics
Janna: Janna is the bane of your existence. She makes her team passively faster (essentially negating your Utility Movement Speed), and offers a slow, a knockup, and a knockback to keep you away. Other supports (Zyra/Lulu/Thresh) can be annoying with their CC, but she is true terror.
Morgana: Morgana may as well be a big middle finger to Skarner. She can snare you, you have to close to melee where she can ult you, and she can spell shield your grab and slows. Approach this matchup with caution.
Alistar: So much CC that initiating is hard, as is staying on a target.
Here's a short (incomplete) list of champions that make Skarner downright OP
- Malphite - He can initiate for you, although you may find your team low on damage with both of them, or find yourself competing over items like Frozen Heart.
- Jayce - Speed for days, yo.
- Orianna - You get a shield (Skarner loves shields), plus you go faster (Skarner loves going faster). Plus she has initiation
- Morgana - Spell Shield is your worst enemy, and also your greatest ally. Plus she has initiation.
- Ahri - good picks and she can be your dive buddy
- Ashe - Picks for days with Crystal Arrow, and slows for months with Frost Shot. Skarner ulti gets 10 times easier.
- Thresh - his lantern is almost free ganks for you. Thresh helps most junglers gank, but Thresh adds lane ganks to Skarner's arsenal. He lanterns back and grabs in, you grab lantern and ult.
- Nami - her ult can make it easy for you to initiate
- Janna - YOU GO FASTER
- Lulu - EVEN FASTER
Anybody bursty (to kill your ult target fast)
Anybody with CC (to make your ulti easier)
Tips and Tricks:
- Don't take golems unless you have smite up. It just takes too long.
- Never get out-smited because you can ult the enemy jungler and he can't smite.
- Don't ult immediately when chasing somebody. If you can get closer to somebody, even their escapes (Ezreal E) won't go off. I've had dozens of Ezreals complain that I was hacking because of this simple trick. I'll try to get some videos of it, but the basic gist of it is that if you're at max range, the E has time to save them, but if you're hugging them, it doesn't.
- Don't constantly auto when chasing. Always check your Q timer, and if it's low (1.5 seconds or lower), you should probably just keep walking alongside them to Q again, THEN attack. First, it doesn't waste your passive, and second, it prevents them from getting out of your Q range. Third, it lets you get in front of them, which makes chasing even easier.
Teamfights are very simple. Your first goal is a good ult. A good ult is one that does one of the following:
- Stops their fed carry's dps for the full duration (don't ult a target with a free QSS).
- Note that I said 'stops their fed carry's dps for the full duration. You want to ult the carry and drag him to your team to be killed. If you can't do that, stopping his attacks for a time is acceptable. But once your ult wears off, don't chase the ADC unless you're extremely tanky (all AD enemy team and you're fed), especially if they have long range and escapes (ezreal/Caitlyn/Tristana). Instead, turn back into the teamfight.
- Protects your fed carry from a huge dive (ulting Irelia or Zed, for example).
- Picks a target off before the fight starts.
Don't be afraid to ult the support or jungler to make a pick. A lot of people will disagree with me on this, but as long as your team can burst them down before they can drop their ultimate, you'll be at a huge advantage.
Don't pick somebody with a short range AoE ult if your team can't burst them immediately; you run the risk of them getting their ult off.
- Don't pick somebody with a revive, because it sort of defeats the purpose.
If you can't get a good ult off, don't just ult a subprime target (don't ult a tanky target who isn't jumping a carry). Save your ult for later, as long as your team has better initiation. Instead, just spam your slows on somebody who will be affected by that. Somebody with no gap closers and no ranged abilities is your best bet. Nasus is a pretty good example; if he gets onto your carries, he'll be terror, but if you constantly slow him, he'll be ineffective. Don't ult him unless he actually gets ONTO your carries, though.
- Page 6 of 7